Rising from the hills of Tbilisi’s Nutsubidze district, the Skybridge isn’t your typical apartment complex. This trio of concrete giants, linked by sky-high walkways, is a stark reminder of the city’s Soviet past and a unique landmark for curious travelers.
Built between 1974-1976, the Tbilisi Skybridge was the brainchild of architects Otar Kalandarishvili and Gizo Potskhishvili. Its Brutalist style, characterized by raw concrete and geometric shapes, reflects the era’s focus on functionality and communal living. While some find it imposing, others admire its bold architecture and historical significance.
From Dream to Reality
Originally envisioned as a vast network of skybridges connecting entire neighborhoods, the project was scaled back due to funding constraints. Yet, the remaining trio stands as a testament to ambitious urban planning and Soviet ideals.
A Walk in the Sky
Take a stroll across the skybridges and soak in panoramic views of Tbilisi. Feel the wind in your hair as you gaze at the bustling city below, and imagine life in this innovative yet somewhat forgotten corner.
Beyond the Concrete
Step inside the buildings and you’ll find residents who have called these giants home for over 40 years. While the exteriors might seem cold, the community inside thrives. Talk to locals, hear their stories, and get a glimpse into the heart of the Skybridge.
The Skybridge is best reached by taxi or car. If you’re feeling adventurous, take the metro to Medical University station and hike up the hill. Don’t forget to pack your camera, as the photo opportunities are endless, especially at sunrise or sunset.
Navigating the Skybridge:
- Entrance & Elevator: Locate the first building near the police station. Public access is through the elevator on the ground level, in the back right corner (residents use a separate lift).
- Fare & Payment: Prepare exact change (Georgian tetri) – the elevator requires 20 tetri per person, each way, up and down and only accepts the correct denomination.
- Ascent & Access: Insert your coins and press the top button for the 14th floor. Upon arrival, step out and enjoy the breathtaking cityscape.
- Exploring the Bridges: Venture onto the metal walkways connecting the buildings. Soak in the views and immerse yourself in the unique atmosphere of this architectural landmark.
More Than Just Apartments
The Skybridge is more than just a place to live; it’s a symbol of a bygone era, a testament to architectural innovation, and a haven for a unique community. It’s a reminder that sometimes, the most unexpected places hold hidden gems waiting to be discovered.
- Consider visiting during sunrise or sunset for stunning lighting.
- Pack comfortable shoes for navigating the bridges.
- Respect the residents and maintain a quiet demeanor while exploring.
- Photography is encouraged, but be mindful of privacy